The phone number was to the GISD. The Early On program is ran in one of their buildings. I spoke with someone there who took our information and said she would send paperwork in the mail and set up an initial evaluation. I needed to have all the paperwork filled out prior to the evaluation since this was to be given to the evaluator. So, a couple weeks went by until the first evaluation occurred. On the day of the eval, Melissa came to our house. I was very surprised at how well Bella handled it. Melissa got right down on the floor with her and made her feel very comfortable. She not only looked at Bella's gross motor skills, but also fine motor, communication and emotional. She followed a checklist to see how far ahead or behind she was developmentally in all the catagories. This evaluation happened on a Friday afternoon. She said she needed to come back in a week and go over her findings and would let us know if Bella qualified for the Early On Program or not.
So, on Friday, one week later, Melissa came back out to the house. She went over everything that she had done the week before. Like we already knew, Bella was developmentally behind in her gross motor skills. Everything else she was either age appropriate or ahead. We were told that because of how far behind she was in her gross motor, she qualified for the program. The next step was to wait for Clio Area Schools Special Education department to contact us regarding what information they needed for Bella's file. I was contacted and told that I had to bring Bella's birth certificate, immunization record and two pieces of mail showing that we lived in the Clio School District. I was told to come in teh following week with the information and she would copy it. So, I took in the information and was told I had to wait again for the GISD to call me. Now that she qualified for the program, another evaluation would have to be done with therapists and teachers.
After the IEP, we were relieved that this was finally going somewhere. I felt as if Bella was going to start getting the help she needed. Not only would she be getting the therapy, but also socialization and cognitive skills. The day after the IEP would be Bella's first class. The following week the program had a field trip planned, so class and therapy were cancelled. Bella's first therapy session actually happened at the field trip at Skateland and the first home therapy session happened the following week.
So sorry you guys had to go thru all this. Hoping they sre finally helping bella :-) hoping blog is helping you..
ReplyDelete